Well, either there's no deadline, and nobody writes, or there's a deadline, and nobody writes. I've never been fond of the Axe of Dismemberment, but it seems that some structure is needed to keep things flowing.

On the other hand, what is also needed is interest. Most characters (my own included) just wander pointlessly through their own adventures and then dissapear without leaving a mark on the world as a whole. I think that for an RPS to work, its members really have to maintain good communication, and they need to have the common good of the story foremost in mind.

I mean, what's the basic concept? Pick a video game or anime character and start writing. (I know that's not exactly what it says, but that's how most seem to interpret it.) That sort of concept usually leads to shallow characters and plots. It encourages people to just pick their favorite character and start writing, even if that character isn't well suited to Nu, or to the first plot idea that came to mind. Personnally, the only characters in Nu that I really like are the completely original ones.

I guess what I could have just said is that I feel the deadlines would not be neccisary if people got more involved. If people felt that they needed to get their chapters out because they were really an important part of the story, it might give them the incentive to write more often. This would also require more authors to create characters who can BE of importance to the grand sceme.

So the fact that the deadlines were introduced may in fact be an indication that interest was already falling. Because I have to say, if you enjoy writing, you MAKE time for it.

If anyone disagrees, feel free to fwap me with a dead fish or soggy noodle or other odd object and proceed to detail your counterpoints.

-Devon

===== NuRPG: Devon Valoth Ultima Online: Richter/Sephiera/Terra/Chris/Azabeth/Sejanus/Desirei Real Life: Myself

Check out the ongoing progress on Haven's Saga at http://members.xoom.com/devon_v/haven ======

__________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Send online invitations with Yahoo! Invites. http://invites.yahoo.com